Friday, August 13, 2010

Safety Patrol

Ahh, here you are Friday, finally! As we head into yet another summer weekend I have decided to post some safety tips...probably nothing you haven't heard before, but take it from me. I watch WAY too much Lifetime, and have found that as I get older, I over-estimate my ability to avoid potentially dangerous situations. Granted, I work out and can generally take any guy who tries to get in my grill, but seriously. Bad things happen sometimes, and there are definite ways to avoid them. So I give you the Weekend Watch tips to ensure good, safe fun.

Go Out in Groups (Duh...but I had to add it)
--Make sure if you're heading out, you go in a group of 2 or more (you too guys). There really is strength in numbers, and if something weird begins to happen you've got people who have your back. If you do find that you are stir-crazy and need to get out flying solo, go somewhere local where you know two or more of the bartenders/servers. This way you are seen and in a familiar territory.

Buddy System
--Don't go into the bathroom by yourself (the actual business you can do by yourself). Don't go up to the bar by yourself (unless there is a clear sight-line from your group to there). Don't go out to the car by yourself. Don't go out to have a smoke by yourself. Don't go out to make a call by yourself. Am I boring you? Seriously. Drag whatever person is closest to you where you need to go. The way cheetahs get their prey is to separate them from the herd. Don't be the wounded gazelle!

Have A Designated MSP (Mostly-Sober Person)
--Most people have a DD (Designated Driver) when they go out, but you should also have a Designated MSP. Obviously if you're out at a party or a bar for 5-6 hours, even the DD can have a drink that they can safely oxidize before getting behind the wheel. The trick is to make sure you have someone present who will keep a level head in case things get out of hand. Usually this can be the person who has work the earliest the next morning. They don't have to drink water all night, but at least you know there's someone who's aware of things.

NEVER, EVER, EVER Leave Your Drink Unattended
--We all know what happens if you do that. You may be thinking "What does this chick think I was born yesterday?" But seriously...you'd be surprised how habitual it becomes to set your drink down for a sec then come back to it. We've all played the "Which cup was mine?" game. The other day I was at a bridal shower and I set my drink down about 5 different times then came back to it...granted that's a bridal shower. The only drugs that might be slipped to me there would be from Aunt Mabel who resented me for buying the pizza wheel off the registry. But still. If you leave your drink, get a new one. Or just keep it with you.
NOTE: If my mom reads this she will be SO pleased that I put this tip in here as she first gave it to me on my way to my first boy-girl party in 7th grade. Love you Madre.

Always Make Sure Someone Knows Where You Are
--Obviously if you're going on a date it will not be a group activity. It is a good idea, if not imperative, to let a friend know where you're going, with whom you are going, etc. in case shit goes Lifetime. Make sure when you are planning the date that you get the name of where you're going and the general location. Tell a friend these details, and if it looks like the date is going a weird direction make a quick stop in the bathroom and shoot your friend a text. It sounds crazy and over-cautious but seriously. You just never know sometimes.

If You're Not Driving...
--Google the name/number of a taxi company in the area or be aware of train or other public transportation schedules. Have these in your phone and readily accessible just in case. I would encourage driving yourself whenever possible if it's a new acquaintance, that way you won't have too much to drink and you can leave whenever if you have to.

Eat A Little Before Dinner
--A glass of wine with dinner never hurt anyone, but too much can impair judgment (even if you are a tank like myself). If you know your evening will entail some adult-type beverages, eat some carbs before you go out. You don't need to eat a foot-long sub by any means, but maybe a piece of toast or some cereal...this way you have some food in your system. If you're anti or low-carb, eat some Greek yogurt (lots of protein fills you up without making it impossible to eat dinner). You won't be starving and over-eat at dinner, and you'll have some food to absorb the pre-dinner cocktail.


All That Being Said...
Ok, ok, obviously not everyone is an axe murderer. And you certainly shouldn't step into any situation thinking something terrible is going to happen. I merely post a few tips because it's just important to have a plan in mind when going out in 2010. Plan In Mind=Peace Of Mind, and having both will ultimately empower you and allow you to have a better time out on the town anyway. Have a safe and sparkling weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This is all great advice- ok, so maybe I do watch too much Law and Order, but you can never be too careful- not everyone has your best interest at heart!

    ReplyDelete