Saturday, July 24, 2010

On Being a Fun Date

While dating has its many woes, at its core it really is a fun thing to do. As much as I find to rant about as a single person, being single is a kind of liberating experience at this point in my life. I like to think of dating as an adventure. I mean, let's face it, sometimes we all say yes to a date (well girls mostly) to wear a dress and get a free meal. But whether your motives are pure or otherwise, there are ways to make a date fun regardless of impending doom.

Ways To Be A Good Date:

-Laugh a lot.
--Happy people are fun people. Laughter breaks the ice. Especially if you're like me and crack yourself up.

-Be punctual.
--Even though people are typically late, it is a really meaningful thing to be on time. The other day I was going out for a date and the guy arrived 15 minutes early (unfortunately I was going to use that 15 minutes to shower after my workout...oops). I found it SOO charming that not only was he on time, but he was EARLY. Of course there will be times when you're stuck in traffic or have a wardrobe malfunction. If this happens, call the person...DON'T TEXT...a call is more personal and allows your date to hear sincerity in your voice. Anyway, long story long, if you're on time it says you care.

-Do something exotic in your outfit that boosts your confidence and makes you stand out.
--Example: I have this AMAZING necklace that goes with EVERYTHING. I wear it frequently on dates because it serves as a unique accent/conversation piece, and it gives me confidence throughout the date.
--Another example: One of the main trends this summer is braided hair. I got one of the stylists at the spa where I work to teach me how to do all these cool French braid things. Best decision I have ever made. A braid is a unique, easy thing to do that gives your look a little more pizazz.

-My personal favorite icebreaker: A well-placed "That's what she said."
--Not to be used more than once...you don't want to clue them in to your one-track mind TOO much. But having this oldie but goodie in your conversation arsenal will NEVER do you wrong.

-Share one funny childhood story and one guilty pleasure.
--Doing this keeps things light and fun, but still allows avenues for the two of you to get to know each other. It will also clue you in as to what kind of person you're dealing with. For instance, my childhood go-to story is the story of my first crush in seventh grade and my mother's practical advice (the story is shared at the end of this post in case you want to steal it in a tight spot). If his is the story of how is dog got eviscerated by a truck, well, I'll leave you to think about that one (and yes, this has happened to me). For my guilty pleasure I usually reference my favorite TV shows (True Blood, Pretty Little Liars, and Jersey Shore), or my not-so-secret love-hate relationship with the Twilight books.

-Have one current event to talk about.
--Even if it's Lindsay Lohan's recent trip to the big house, you can never go wrong talking about current events. The two latest things I talked about were Fergie (as in Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York) and her recent woes and the BP oil spill. As to the latter it provides an opportunity to tell the person about the BP Coffee Spill video on YouTube.
[STRATEGY NOTE: This provides a perfect opportunity for you guys to get in touch after the date. I.e. he watches the video and texts you about how hilarious it is, or you text him and say "Hey did you watch that video? I'm telling you won't be disappointed."]

-Be clear about your dietary needs.
--If you're allergic to seafood, don't let a guy take you out for sushi. If you're a vegetarian, tell him in advance so you don't end up at a steakhouse. It's a lot less embarrassing for all involved if you're honest from the get-go.

-Talk about what you love.
--Nothing is more exciting than if you're excited about something. Plus you never know how much you have in common with someone.

Alright there are your tips for your next date. If anyone I have ever dated reads this post I am so screwed. But hey, it worked right? Have fun!

AFTERPOST: Story you can steal, embellish, etc.
I had my first crush on this boy Sean in 7th grade. He was like, oh so cute. I told my mom about this and how I was waiting for him to ask me out. She proceeded to tell me that "I did not labor for women's rights throughout the 70's and move up North where women could be pastors of churches so you could WAIT for some boy to ask YOU out. Write him a note and tell him how you feel!" So I did. Sean then wrote me back on one of those TI-90 calculators that had letters and said he would call me after school. He ignored me for an entire month after that. The moral of the story is, he eventually asked me out and we dated for 5 whole months (which in 7th grade is practically engagement in case you didn't know).

No comments:

Post a Comment