Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Fray

Another year in the trenches. Alas. Or is it?

I always find when Valentine's Day comes around it's a toss-up. Do I let my bitter feelings take over and create a cynical day? Or am I ambivalent? I mean I must confess, when the pastor prayed for single people in church on Sunday I swear I felt a follow-spot on me. And I am bummed that, once again, I am spending the day with two felines and a bottle of Chianti. I also know that no girl really thinks any holiday is stupid where she might receive something shiny, so I might as well give up my cavalier charade. But this year, I have a solution. I am shifting my focus from the kind love I do not have to the kind of love that I do.

I have a wonderful family. I am 24 and my mom still sends me a Valentine's Day card. My sister is the smartest person in the world and asks my advice on where she should spend Spring Break. My dad always makes me laugh. My cousin is cooler than I am and sometimes it rubs off. It doesn't matter when or why I call, they just like to hear from me, and vice versa.

I also have two reallllllyyyy adorable felines who, in spite of the stigma attached to their species, really do love me. And they always know when I need them for a good cuddle. I am fully aware that these tender moments are breaks in between their assassination and world domination plots, but hey, I'll take it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have the best friends ever. Like real, in your face, tell it like it is but love you anyway friends. I have people I can call when my car breaks down and I need a ride, or I happen to have one hour free and they are just as delighted as I am to spend it together. Friends who do my hair even when they know I am just using outward solutions to cope with inner problems. Friends who don't frown upon me when I cave and eat cheese. Friends who, no matter what, find a way to say both what I want and need to hear at the same time.

With that kind of love in my life, it becomes difficult to really think I am missing anything. I may be single, but I am not alone. And that is the greatest Valentine's Day gift of all. Spread some love to everyone in your life today....unlike oil, it is a renewable and sustainable resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment